|The "Sasha Doll" was named after her designer, Sasha Morgenthaler who lived in Switzerland and died in 1975 at the age of 82 years. She started to make toys and dolls for her three children in the 1920's. She eventually set up a doll making studio in her home and with the help of a local sculptor began to produce "Sasha" dolls from molds. Today, these hand-made, studio Sasha dolls are highly prized and sought after by collectors.
In 1964, frustrated by having to charge such high prices for her hand-made studio dolls, Sasha Morgenthaler contracted with the German doll manufacturer, Gotz, to produce the first mass-produced Sasha play dolls. Later, in 1965, she contracted with the English doll manufacturer, Frido to also produce the Sasha dolls. For the next few years there was intense competition between the Gotz-Puppenfabrik and Frido (1970 - Trendon Ltd.) for control of the Sasha doll market. The issue was eventually settled in favor of Frido. Gotz subsequently ceased Sasha production in 1970. Frido continued to produce the dolls for more than a decade until the owners John and Sara Doggart, retired in 1986. Sasha dolls were re-introduced by Gotz for a brief period in 1996.